Sorts of hosting services
A hosting service implies storing and/or sharing specific content on a server managed by a website hosting supplier. There are different groups of hosting services used for various goals, so let's take a look at these. Thus, you can pick what you want, on the basis of whether you'd like to own a website, mail accounts, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by some companies, which enables you to share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only goal is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web files in your browser. Free file storage services often include advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular spell of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally unsuitable explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would apportion the load between individual sets of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different web page hosting services (email, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, web hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; specific distributors offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting brand is suitable if you would like to share a huge amount of images with chums or associates since the service is usually free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to managing your email address accounts. Some providers offer web page hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email solution. If you wish to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to own a web site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can open email mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video file, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of videos and several hundred web page viewers, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will allow you to administer as many videos as you wish without hassling about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to own a website. To a certain degree, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can have databases and mailbox accounts, upload videos, and so on. At 100WebSpace, for instance, you can observe web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that permit you to get all of the aforementioned services in a single place. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse compared with the conventional e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are designed for specific web content only.